Monday, September 30, 2013

Houston, We Have a Problem... A 2010 hellacious trip, hilarious in hindsight

Let me just explain first off, I don't enjoy flying to begin with anymore.  Besides the common complaints I share with everyone else--too cramped, too much hassle with security, none of the fun freebies like before--I have a severe ear pain (we're talking cry-like-a-baby-ear-is-going-to-burst pain) during just about every landing.  I do all of the "things"--take a decongestant before the flight, sip water, chew gum--but there are times, about 50% of the time, when none of these attempts at a "cure" make a difference.  So, to begin with, I look forward to airline travel with the same enthusiasm and gusto that I would look forward to say, another root canal.

But sometimes other things overpower and prevail--like the opportunity to see my family on Labor Day 2010.  My Mom generously offered up some of her inheritance money to bring us all together--including my son and his family with 3 adorable granddaughters, my sister and her family, including my 2 nephews and their significant others.

So, once again, I was talking myself into a little root canal to get across country--"Maybe this flight won't be so bad"--and I set about the business of booking.

Not wanting to take inconsiderate advantage of the fact that this was paid for, I looked for cheaper fares and found a dandy one price-wise.  Schedule-wise, it was not thrilling; a red-eye flight out of Portland to Houston, and a 3-hour layover in Charlotte.  Time difference included, it was a 17-hour traveling experience from leaving Salem, Oregon on the HUT airport shuttle to Portland at 7:15 p.m. Wednesday, after a full day of work, to arriving in New Bern North Carolina Thursday afternoon, 3:30 p.m.

Sounds bad, right?  But ya know what?  When the excitement of seeing people you love takes hold, a fair amount of amnesia kicks in.  "Red-eye flight…no problem!  I can sleep on the plane!"

Everything in Portland went fairly smoothly and I was beginning to feel kind of smug about my economic and efficient choices.  Proudly, I sailed through Security with my 1 carry-on (no checked bags, thank you very much!) without as much as a finger-wagging "Tsk-tsk-tsk" that TSA is so famous for.  I know how to bag my liquids, by God!  I ate snacks that I brought with me and read my book.  Saving money feels good--feels so virtuous!

Since I was done with security (savor these words because they come back up like indigestion later), I took some time to reorganize and repack some of my things.  I filled my water bottle (for the ear pain thing) and boarded up.

Oh...did I mention the fact that Hurricane Earl was heading right for my parents' town where we were all planning to come together?  This added a little bit of excitement to the mix as I wasn't sure if my parents would have to evacuate and meet us all in Charlotte for the "shindig" or if I was to continue on into New Bern as planned.  We all had to just "wait and see."
Gee, I like an adventure!

The plane-sleeping thing didn't work out so well.  For some reason, this time, it wasn't just the landing phase that got my ears--it was pretty much the entire trip.  I had pain so bad at times, I seriously wanted to cry and thought I was crying until I realized it was the screaming baby behind me--bet it was the ears for him too, poor little guy.  So much for sleep.

So, I wasn't real rested to begin with when I landed in Houston (5 a.m. local time) to look for my connecting flight.  But not to worry, they had a "helper" at the gate to direct us.  She took one look at my paperwork and said, "I can't tell what airline you're on from this--do you have something else?"  Well, yes I did.  And that something else was at the bottom of my carefully repacked carry-on.  I opened it up on the floor, quickly rifled through all of my things--some of them spilling out, much to the delight of other weary travelers waiting to get their marching orders from our helper, who was, by now, starting to smile less and clear her throat.  Got it!  "Okay," now frowning, looking stern, she instructed, "You'll need to go all the way to the intersection, turn left, and get on the train to Concourse A."  I had an hour to get to my next flight.  No problem.

Were those Munchkins I heard giggling in the background?  Boy, I must be tired...

I went ahead and filled my water bottle in case I was in for a long walk and started for the "intersection."  I turned left at what felt like an intersection and began walking.  No signs for a "train".  I felt the need to get more help, more clarity. So I went off to the side where a gentleman in uniform stood next to an escalator going down.  "Am I going in the right direction to get to the train that takes me to Concourse A?"

Pause.  "Uhhh...well."  Another pause.  "I don't know...the only train I know about is down there (pointing down the escalator) but then you'll be out of security..."

Wow.  Okay...not sure what that meant.  So I grabbed the first flight attendant passing by and asked her if she knew where the train to Concourse A was..."Oh yeah!" she said smiling brilliantly.  "Just head over towards that flashing blue light way down there (pointing in another direction, away from where he had pointed)."

At this point, an argument ensued between uniformed Uhh-guy and the flight attendant (who was no longer smiling).  I watched this volley for a few minutes, then dared to interrupt, "Excuse me, maybe there's an information booth somewhere?"  And she said, rather snippy at this point, "Oh, that's way back that way (behind me) and it's closed."  I shared my anxiety over the time and not knowing which way to go and she said, "Well yeah...you're losing time here and you just need to make a decision, ma'am!  And I guess I'd listen to him (she gestured angrily at the Uhh-guy) because I don't do A!!!"  At this, she stomped off.

I looked at Uhh-guy and said, "Well, I wish you were sure about this," to which he said, "Oh I'm sure!"

Uhh-guy becomes Duh-guy...

By some miracle, I found the train and got on.  And by some other divine intervention, I found Concourse A--lots of stops and lack of signage ("Let's see...the map shows a hotel before A and this looks like a hotel, so I'm going to stay on the train...").

I got off the train...to no signs for anything.  "You look lost," one of the security guys standing there says.  I said, "U.S. Airways?" and was promptly entertained by another "This way/no that way" volley by the security guys.  They all agreed that I should go up first, so I did.  I had just 30 minutes to get to my connecting flight.

Okay, a little ya-get-what-ya-pay-for lesson here.  Evidently, part of the cheap deal of this flight was the fact that part of it was on Continental and the other part was on U.S. Airways.  This meant that even though I had already bought my ticket and gotten in line at Portland to check in and through another line through security, I got to go through another line in Houston to check in and go through security...again!!!!

The check-in line was long, but I got my boarding passes and was in the security line with 15 minutes to spare.  I bagged up my liquids as I had in Portland and proceeded through.  And then I heard that question that makes every traveler’s heart go pitter-pat:  "Is this your bag here, ma'am?" spoken with splendid TSA disdain.  "Why yes, it is."  "Okay..." and she did the eye-roll thing and started in with her I-can't-believe-I-gotta-educate-another-idiot-about-this speech:  "Are you aware that liquids can not be in different bags?!!  You're gonna have to fit all your liquids into one quart-sized bag and throw everything else away."

Stunned, I asked, "How come this got through without any problems just earlier today in Portland?"  To which she became haughty.  "I don't know what those guys in Portland are doing but here in Houston this is the rule."  Big eyes were daring me to challenge the rule and the intelligence of these guys versus "those guys".  I had always thought that Portland Oregon and Houston Texas were 2 different worlds...and now that had been confirmed.

To her credit, she stopped and took time out of her precious day to help me cram as many liquids as I could into one bag.  Then, as luck would have it, I heard another one aimed in my direction, "Ma'am--is this your bag as well?!!"  My purse.  The water bottle.  Dang!  "Can we just empty it out?  I have this ear problem..."  She wanted nothing of my explanation...  "This'll need to be thrown away.  Oh, you can empty it alright, but you'll need to do that over there and then come through security again!"

Not on your ruby-slippered life, My Pretty!

Down to 5 minutes.  Had to buy another water bottle and make my way to the gate.  Ah...just started boarding.  Made it!  They were up to Zone 2...I was Zone 4...

Zone 4 was up and so was I.  And now for the announcement:  "We just got word that we have no more overhead compartment space.  Those of you with overhead carry on need to get in this other line so we can check your bag onto its final destination.

Okay...problem!  I'm not sure of my final destination because of the hurricane...  It took a few more conversations, volleys, and time, but my bag finally got a colorful little "special tag" to accompany me on the same plane.

I was pretty much blotto by the time I reached Charlotte.  The news was pretty grim on the hurricane "front" so I went out to the baggage claim area, thinking I'd be calling to get picked up by one of my family there--I just assumed the "Do" was moved to Charlotte.  After a couple of phone calls, I realized it had not moved and I would need to get on the plane to New Bern if it was actually going to take off.

So...you guessed it--back through security!  This time, I emptied my water bottle and made sure everything would pass inspection.  Smiling wanly, which was all I could do 3 times through security in one day, I made my way through their contraption, which requires you to stick your thumbs on your head and get your picture taken.  Come on--really?  They're making little TSA movies they can laugh at on breaks, right?

I overheard one of the TSA gents comment several times, “Upper buttocks area...yeah somewhere in the upper buttocks area..." and I'm thinking, "Wow, what silly conversations these TSA guys have while waiting for people to come through."

"Ma'am?"  "Ma'am?"  I came out of my sleepless stupor to realize she was addressing me.  "I'm going to need to pat you down.  Something came up on your picture we need to check."  OMG!  I was "buttocks" babe TSA guy was referring to!!  She asked, "Would you like somewhere private while we do this?"  Oh hell no...I want everybody to see this!

I'm sure everyone is thrilled to know that my butt passed the pat-down and I went on to enjoy a hurricane-free couple of days with my family.  At Charlotte, I said, "You know, I've been through 3 airport security checks today and all of them have been different."  "Oh that's funny!" said this particularly jolly TSA gal--"They're all supposed to be the same!"  Ha-ha-ha.


So I decided to cop her attitude and laugh, laugh, laugh.  I haven't stopped yet.  Visiting hours are...

No comments:

Post a Comment